A huge lesson on building a good social profile for business transaction
Why do people get defrauded online, is it because they were not careful enough? Maybe not. Actually, you are absolutely normal for not trusting your social media contacts, it’s money we are talking about here! A social profile is a great asset in times like this.
I know how it feels when you have paid for a service or product online and the other end of the line just goes cold. It stings! But we still fall for these games over and over again. Sometimes a virtual romance get’s nasty and you lose money. Someone promises to meet you someday and they also shower you with so much love and it’s exciting. You lose hard cash.
Yea it hurts
Sometimes the offer just seems too good to be true. You hear of this opportunity to make some extraordinary profit through some financial platform or the other. People fall for these things. A lot of Nigerians lost their money on a Ponzi WhatsApp group sometime early in the year.
It feels bad when people ignore a genuine offer of business product or service but fall for frauds. Really it could be frustrating to see people fall for these things while they would not spend a dime to purchase your offer, especially when these people are your friends or family.
Let’s say you offered a friend brand coaching session and they did not take it. Later this friend comes online to complain that they lost money to frauds. I would feel bad, and I know you would feel bad too. I may laugh too just to make the friend feel bad. This is why you need to understand why your social contacts trust the wrong sets of people and how you can help them trust you.
I wanted to take a flight some weeks back and I knew it would take me a lot of time to go all around the city looking for options to book a flight at the best price. I messaged a friend on facebook who had told me about her job as a travel agent. The available fight options my friend listed tallied with my personal research. I knew she was giving me the right information about the airlines I could follow. The figures I had also seen were the exact same figures she was quoting.
I knew I could transfer the funds which were a total of one forty-five thousand naira and there would be no way to find her. We had never met. She must have felt my hesitation because she started to give me directions to other outlets near me to carry out the transaction. However, like I said, I did not want to go through all the stress. So I did a few things to confirm all I knew about her.
Quick checks most people follow
1. I checked her pictures and saw her at work and with her child which she had mentioned to me. I saw these pictures over a stretch of a few years and ticked that as a plus for her.
2. The comments under posts can help a lot. There is a way real life family and friends respond to you on social media and it’s different from how facebook contacts respond to you. This is why you should not block everyone who knows you offline from your social account.
3. I saw people who had vouched for her in one contest or the other. Sometimes get involved in contests that may not be in line with your work; writing contests, quizzes, challenges, games. These are things that real people do, so doing them online makes you a little more real.
4. I looked at how much of her personality was reflected in her posts. Sometimes the things we share about our personal struggles, they allow people connect with us better and the more people can find you to be real, the higher the chances of them doing business with you.
5. You should also buy things online sometimes, let your friends know that you are willing to risk doing business with them and this will be reciprocated. A few weeks before I had to pay for this flight, this friend had bought some of my books and even enrolled in a writing class I organized and this sealed my deal with her that day.
Then Deals Get Done
After I had quickly done all these evaluation and thinking, I transferred the fund knowing that it was a risk but a very minimal one. It’s never guaranteed offline or online that you will not be defrauded. There are people who setup fraudulent businesses in the streets, they look genuine and people fall for them. I see no reason why anyone should avoid business online because we fear being defrauded.
However, you as a brand can help your contacts by building a profile that actually gives all the incentives for trust. You can get more clients and get paid online by helping people trust you.
Thanks for taking time off to read this, now you can share this with friends and also join the Designed life classes on Brand and Self Development.
Damilola is a content curator and creator, he writes for the passion and the thrill. He has been published on Tuck Magazine, SGNT, VivaNaija and also shares some of his stories on jonathanoladeji.com. He has an eye for juicy content and loves to make brand ideas sell.